Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The Little Things

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and today, I'm going to let them do most of the talking.

Yesterday, after almost 17 years, we had to put our beloved dog Toby to sleep. I guess I always thought that he would somehow live forever - reality is a crushing thing.

This is when I first set eyes on Toby.

Together, we grew from this...

...to this.

Toby was the best dog our family could have asked for. 
He was a feisty rascal sometimes, to be sure. He was a professional escape artist, and enjoyed gallivanting through the streets of Burlington unattended. His bark could go on for hours without growing hoarse, and he turned into an acrobat that could perform amazing feats in order to reach food that seemed just out of reach.
But one look into his puppy-dog eyes, and he made your heart melt.

I don't remember what life was like without Toby. We grew up together, and he's seen me through so many major (and minor) life events and changes. He's been my main man, my partner in crime, my snuggle buddy, my greeting committee, and best friend.
And it hurts to finally have to say goodbye.

RIP, Toby. Thanks for the memories. Love you always.

"Sometimes," said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."


No comments:

Post a Comment