Sunday, July 6, 2014

God's People, Our Mission

The days are long, but the week is short.

I knew this going into the Ayoré camp: expect the unexpected, but trust that ultimately God has everything under control. It's not easy to rise before the sun and go to bed long after it sets, and rally your energy for every waking moment to encourage and stir up excitement in those around you. But it's definitely worth it.

The week had its challenges, to be sure. Our toilet broke our second day there. The girls almost killed a bird. Some girls from one of the communities broke into the room of one of the other communities and knocked some of the mattresses off the bunks. 12 of the girls were picked up half way through the week when a community leader came to deal with some girls that were being disruptive.

But God redeems brokenness. The four girls that were being disruptive were not taken back with the rest of their community. One of the girls, Bebeli, went and apologized to Sandra for her behavior. Sandra shared that in her 10 years working with the Ayoré, this is the first time she has received an apology.


I was blessed with Glaribel, one of the older Ayoré girls in my group who took me under her wing, helping me build closer relationships with the others, gave me grace with my Spanish, and put the other girls in line in our Bible story times. She was eager to interact with the Bible stories, partake in the worship times and go above and beyond in the dramas each night.


But perhaps my most exciting and encouraging part of the week was witnessing the change in this girl, Monica. She was also in my group last year, and I remembered her for a couple of reasons: one, she hated having to sit still and be a part of my small group and liked to run off, and two, she stuck her spoon in my food. She was one of the wilder girls. But this year, I got to witness God's transforming power in her life. She loved Bible story time and wanted to interact with the stories and help me tell them through drama. She wanted to sing the worship songs over and over again. She threw her arms around me in a hug during games one day, and another morning she looked up at me and told me I was pretty. She helped me with the names of the other girls. There was such joy on her face during her time at the camp - she made me excited to be up in the morning.

These camps are making a difference in these girls' lives. The gospel is being preached. God is at work. During this past week, the girls got to be just that: girls. They weren't looked at as an oppressed people group, or judged as prostitutes. God's love was lavished upon them by dedicated volunteers and Ayoré women. 

Although the Ayoré are a small people group, and many people will never hear their name mentioned or hear their language uttered, this last week I had the privilege of worshiping God with them. And as we worshipped God in ayoreo, Spanish, English, and other languages, I got a foretaste of what it will be like in Heaven, where every nation, tribe, and tongue will be represented. And I got to worship with these girls and women on this side of heaven. How amazing is that?!

I sang 'Hakuna Mungu' and 'Do You Love Your Jesus' more times than I can count, and my voice is hoarse from shouting 'Equipo Verde' and 'grupos pequeños' a gazillion times...but I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. How awesome to wake up every morning with a purpose, and to be a part of God's redemptive work among the Ayoré. Because I truly believe that the girls going through these camps and learning the truth of God's Word are the generation that are going to play a role in transforming and redeeming their culture and communities.

Thank you so much for your prayers this past week. They were definitely felt! But please join with me in continuing to pray for the Ayoré, that God would build His Kingdom among them. That they wouldn't become more like us, but that they would become more like Jesus.

It's hard to say goodbye. These girls have captured my heart. It's hard to minister cross-culturally. It takes sacrifice. But I look at the inspirational people I've served alongside of, and I see Jesus in them. And I know I have no right to give any less than them.

So how do I sum up this last week? There were moments where my heart was so full I could burst, and others where I was incredibly discouraged. But God was there each and every moment, and where I am weak, He is strong. Every face has a name, and every name has a story. And God cares about each one. This last week, my story got to intertwine with theirs. And I am so incredibly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment